Work Permit

Work Permit

What You Should Know About Work Permit Applications (And The IRCC Eligibility Criteria)

 This article will take you through some of the eligibility criteria as well as important steps needed beforehand.

What is the IRCC eligibility criteria?

The IRCC, or Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, is the organization responsible for immigration in Canada. The IRCC has a number of programs that allow foreign nationals to work in Canada, each with its own eligibility criteria.

To be eligible for a work permit, foreign nationals must:

- have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer;

- meet the minimum requirements for education and/or work experience;

- pass a medical exam;

- have no criminal record; and

- prove that they have enough money to support themselves during their stay in Canada.

Foreign nationals who are already working or studying in Canada may also be eligible for a work permit. For more information on the IRCC’s programs and eligibility criteria, visit their website at

General Overview of Canadian Work Visa Requirements

To work in Canada, you will need a valid work permit. The type of work permit you need depends on the:

  • type of job.
  • duration of the job.
  • location of the job (if it’s in a different province or territory than where you live).
  • You may also need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). An LMIA is an opinion from ESDC that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job and that no qualified Canadian worker is available. 

In order to get a work permit, you must:

  • have a valid travel document, such as a passport.
  • be eligible to enter Canada.
  • meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and regulations.
  • have a letter of introduction from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) OR have an employer-specific work permit .
  • not pose a threat to public safety or be involved in criminal activity

      There are three different types of work permits: open, employer-specific, and closed. 

An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer:       

who is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with certain conditions under the International Mobility Program, or who has had an LMIA application refused in the past six months.

IRCC Residence and Dependant Permits

If you're planning on moving to Canada to work, you'll need to apply for a work permit. The process can be a bit complicated, so it's important to know what you're doing before you start.

One of the first things you'll need to do is make sure you meet the IRCC eligibility criteria. To be eligible for a work permit, you must:

-have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer.

-be able to show that you have the skills and experience required for the job.

-meet the basic requirements for entry into Canada, such as having a valid passport.

-have enough money to support yourself and your family during your stay in Canada.

-be healthy and not have any criminal convictions.

If you meet all of these criteria, then you can begin the application process. The first step is to get a copy of the application form from the IRCC website. You'll need to fill out this form and submit it along with other required documents, such as your passport, photos, proof of your job offer, and an Application Fee Receipt.

Once your application is submitted, the IRCC will review it and decide whether or not to issue you a work permit. If they approve your application, they will send you a letter of introduction and your work permit will be issued electronically. You'll then need to present this letter of introduction when you arrive at the port of entry into Canada.

If you're thinking of applying for a work permit in Canada, it's important to be aware of the IRCC's eligibility criteria. Although the application process can be daunting, as long as you have all the required documentation and meet the criteria, you should have no problem getting your work permit approved. With that said, it's always a good idea to consult with an immigration lawyer or other professional to ensure that you're on the right track.

Do you want to get the hight quality service as a client?